Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Handcuffed

The handcuff bit into my wrist, no matter how still I tried to be. Hannay was all angles; his movements were swift and abrupt. He yanked my wrist forward as I tried to slow down, carefully stepping through the stone as we strayed from the road. It took some time, but we finally reached an agreeable pace when it started to rain. It was a light sprinkle at first, just enough to cause us to glance at the sky. The first thought that went through my head was maybe the rain could help us slip out of the handcuffs. I tried to subtly test to see if I could move the handcuff but Hannay pulled on me to walk faster, the metal pressing against my bone. I let out a shriek of pain, which was met with a look of annoyance instead of sympathy. The rain began to fall harder and I pulled at my dress to keep it from sticking to me. Hannay tipped his hat slightly, the water that had collected on it falling onto my shoulder. I took a step to the side in surprise, but was pulled back by the handcuffs. We both let out a groan of pain, trudging forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment